About the lab
For school year 2023-24, Live from the Heart registration will be limited to online attendance only.
- Grades: 9-12
- Capacity (Virtual): 40 students and teachers per registration. Sessions limited to four remote participating groups per session.
- Duration: 2.5 hours
- Cost: $300
- Offered Wednesdays 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.—limited availability
Students and teachers can participate remotely from anywhere with a web-enabled device capable of using Zoom.
Learn more about how the program works
Next Generation Science Standards
Science and Engineering Practices:
Obtaining, evaluating and communicating information
Cause and effect
Systems and system models
Structure and function
Disciplinary Core Ideas:
LS 1: From molecules to organisms; structure and function
LS 3: Heredity; inheritance and variation of traits
ETS2: Links among engineering, technology, science and society
- Increase their understanding of science concepts as they relate to heart surgery.
- Have an increased awareness of STEM careers.
- Have an increased comfort exploring and engaging in the content.
- Have a desire to learn more extending the ideas explored in the lab.
- Work collaboratively with peers.
- Communicate using correct terminology.
- Develop questions regarding anatomy of the heart, careers in the OR, and their personal health.
- Predict and observe what happens during the major steps of the surgery.
- Practice observation skills by recording patient and surgery data.
- Understand how lifestyle choices affect personal health