About the Lab
- Grades: 4–8
- Capacity: 30 students
- Duration: 60 minutes
- Cost: $170
- Offered Tuesday through Friday at 10:15 and 11:45 a.m.
Next Generation Science Standards
Science and Engineering Practices:
- Asking questions and defining problems
- Developing and using models
- Planning and carrying out investigations
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Constructing explanations
- Engaging in argument from evidence
- Obtaining, evaluating and communicating information
- Cause and effect
- Systems and system models
- Energy and Matter
- Stability and Change
Disciplinary Core Ideas:
PS 1: Matter and its interactions
- PS1.A: Structure and Properties of Matter
- PS1.B: Chemical Reactions
PS 3: Energy
- PS3.B: Conservation of Energy and Energy Transfer
- PS3.D: Energy in Chemical Processes and Everyday Life
ETS 2: Links among engineering, technology, science and society
Common Core ELA/Literacy Standards
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.3.1, 3.3, 3.7, 3.10
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.7, 4.10
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.5.1, 5.2, 5.4, 5.7, 5.10
- Increase their understanding of chemical reactions.
- Understand the connection between ideas explored and careers that involve chemistry.
- Actively engage in hands-on and inquiry-based science investigation.
- Share Learning Lab-generated thoughts/ideas/questions with peers and program facilitators.
- Observe chemical properties before and after a chemical reaction.
- Develop and test a hypothesis about what will occur during a chemical reaction.