Out-of-School Time Educator Program
We partner with schools and organizations to develop their competence, skills and knowledge of OST STEAM programs.
MSI's Out-of-School-Time (OST) Educator Program, formerly known as Science Minors Club, aims to support the development of inclusive and equitable learning in out-of-school-time settings for young people primarily in grades 3-8, with 70% of our partner programs in the city of Chicago. Our partner network reaches Chicago, its suburbs, and northwest Indiana. As part of our commitment to partner with intention, we will deepen our strategic relationships with Englewood, Woodlawn, South Shore and Hyde Park communities beginning Fall 2022, with other focus neighborhoods to be added in the future.
Our OST partners will provide rich opportunities to spark young people's interest, excitement and motivation to learn about phenomena in the natural and human-built world. Our team will build the capacity of educators and site partners by developing their knowledge, skills and mindset to be leaders in science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM) in the out-of-school-time setting.
Advanced Practitioners Program
Advanced Practitioners have developed their expertise through consistent participation in MSI's educator program, including past Science Clubs. Their skills and knowledge of OST STEAM best practices affords them an opportunity to partner with our team, leveraging their expertise to support new partners and build a community of practice of OST educators.
Partner program participants will:
- Develop their program by engaging in a Quality Support Plan
- Gain competence, confidence and motivation to facilitate STEAM learning opportunities
- Consider how features of their learning environment contribute to young people's engagement with STEAM
- Connect young people's everyday lives to STEAM content and processes
- Build their own knowledge of STEAM concepts and practices
Participating partner organizations receive:
- Science curriculum on a variety of STEAM topics
- Curriculum training, on-site support and an individualized Quality Support Plan
- A family day at MSI for participating youth and their families
- Supplemental training via Canvas
Registration has closed
Registration for the Spring 2023 Out-of-School-Time Educator Program closed on February 3. Please subscribe to our Educator newsletter for updates on future applications.
For more information
Questions about the program? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.