Welcome to the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
The Museum strives to provide a fascinating, inviting and thought-provoking visit where our guests can enjoy our experiences and exhibits. We appreciate your understanding of and cooperation with these policies we’ve established to maintain a safe and considerate atmosphere for all guests and staff at MSI.
We consider diversity to be the total mix of difference found within our organization—the combination of the visible and invisible attributes that shape our individual and organizational views of the world, our perspectives and approaches.
Inclusion is the act of including. An inclusive MSI fully embraces and respects diversity by fostering a work environment where people feel supported, listened to and are encouraged to participate—contributing to overall success.
We seek to create and sustain a sense of belonging by valuing and respecting the talents, beliefs, backgrounds and perspectives of our entire workforce and all of our audiences.
We value and respect our diverse guests, volunteers and staff and expect the same from our guests.
Use of inappropriate language and/or behavior will not be tolerated and may result in removal from the Museum with no refund.
We certainly hope you will be excited to explore MSI. That said, please refrain from running, screaming or generally disruptive behavior. We ask you to respect our exhibits and facilities as well as the experience of other visitors. Courteous, respectful behavior is expected of all guests to ensure an informative and meaningful experience at MSI. Please follow all official posted signs and the instructions of MSI staff.
For the health and safety of our guests, staff and volunteers, the Museum of Science and Industry has implemented various safety measures to reduce the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- Please visit msichicago.org/prepare for information about our current safety measures and precautions you must take before and during you visit.
- During your visit, you must follow all posted instructions and Museum policies here at msichicago.org/terms and at msichicago.org/prepare.
Exposure to COVID-19 is an inherent risk in any public space where people are present. The Museum of Science and Industry has implemented enhanced health and safety measures, but we cannot guarantee that a visitor will not contract COVID-19 while on Museum premises. By entering the Museum you are voluntarily agreeing to assume all risks related to COVID-19 exposure. Please help us keep everyone safe. You may be asked to leave the Museum if you do not follow the safety measures the Museum has put in place. Your purchase of tickets, and entry into the Museum, are subject to these terms and conditions.
Engaging in these behaviors may result in your removal from the Museum with no refund. Violations perceived as criminal will be reported to local authorities.
- Offensive, abusive or threatening language or behavior towards other guests and/or Museum staff
- Fighting, provoking a fight, or engaging in disorderly or boisterous conduct
- Tampering with, defacing, damaging, destroying and/or removing any MSI property including exhibit and/or artifacts
- Wearing or otherwise displaying profane, obscene or injurious language, texts or graphics on clothing or elsewhere on the person
- Repeated removal of or refusal to wear required face coverings or to follow other COVID-19 related safety measures
- Unauthorized distribution of pamphlets or any other literature
- Intentionally interfering with or preventing the execution of duties by MSI staff
- Loitering, gambling, selling, soliciting or campaigning
- Possession, use and/or selling of illegal drugs
- Possession of alcoholic beverages not sold on our premises
- Indecent exposure, sexual acts or behavior
- Smoking (including e-cigarettes) inside the MSI building, including the parking garage and within 15 feet of MSI entrances
- Eating and/or drinking in exhibits and other designated prohibited areas
- Bringing any prohibited items (listed below)
- Any other behavior determined by MSI staff to threaten the safety of MSI guests, staff and/or its property
- Firearms (law enforcement and on-duty security personnel excepted)
- Weapons, including knives, pepper spray and stun guns/tasers
- Hazardous materials of any kind
- Explosives, including fireworks
- Tripods and other professional photography equipment (without prior approval)
- Any other items deemed by MSI staff to be dangerous or inappropriate in a public setting
Minor children should not be left unattended. All guests under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times while visiting the Museum, without exception, and will not be admitted without adult accompaniment.
Shoes and shirts are required for all guests visiting the Museum.
Photography and video
Any video, photographs and recordings taken on MSI property (in areas where such activity is not prohibited) shall be for private, noncommercial use only.
Waiver of liability
By entering the Museum, you agree, on behalf of yourself and any minor children accompanying you, to voluntarily assume all risk, including the risk of personal injury (including death) or illness, the risk of exposure to communicable diseases including COVID-19, or the risk of lost, stolen or damaged property, arising from or related to your entry into the Museum and participation in any activities on Museum property. In addition, you agree that the Museum will not be responsible for any such injury or illnesses, property damage or other loss and the Museum is released and discharged from such liability to the fullest extent of the law.
The Museum reserves the right to add, withdraw or otherwise modify these terms and other policies as it deems in its best interests to do so.