MSI BY THE NUMBERS
Our Mission and Vision
- Mission: to inspire the inventive genius in everyone by presenting captivating and compelling experiences that are real and educational.
- Vision: to inspire and motivate our children to achieve their full potential in science, technology, medicine and engineering.
Who’s Coming Through the Doors
- Nearly 1.5 million guests visit annually.
- The Museum hosts more than 300,000 school children on field trips each year, making MSI the top field trip destination.
- Approximately 40 percent of our guests visit for free.
A Student and Teacher Resource
- The Museum has taken a leadership role in science education by creating and expanding the Welcome to Science Initiative, with innovative programs that empower teachers, engage the community, and excite students and Museum guests.
- About 500,000 students and teachers are engaged with MSI and our science education programs each year.
- About 1,000 middle-grades teachers participate in science teacher education courses each year.
- Our network of 130+ after-school science clubs have the capacity to reach 10,000 children a year with fun, hands-on science.
- Hands-on Learning Labs at the Museum invite about 19,000 students annually to explore topics like medicine, civil engineering and space travel.
- MSI’s Jr. Science Cafes and annual Science Works career event connected 8,000 young people and their families with STEM professionals to learn about STEM careers.
Online and Virtual Engagement
- MSI’s website, msichicago.org, receives more than 5 million visitors a year and contains more than 4,000 pages of original content on Museum information, exhibits, at-home science activities, and teacher and student resources.
- In 2020, MSI reached 28,000 people with new virtual tours and online events, while new science videos received over 96,000 views.
- The Museum is on Facebook (msichicago), Instagram (@msichicago), Twitter (@msichicago) and YouTube (msichicago).