- Participate in a supported learning community alongside your peers to build content and pedagogical knowledge and skills. (Common to all courses)
- Experience phenomena-driven lessons which model three dimensional teaching and learning that supports NGSS appropriate for students in grades 3* to 8. (Common to all courses)
- Explore how energy flows in designed systems with particular attention to electrical energy and thermal energy.
- Discover how energy is a powerful crosscutting concept that allows scientists and engineers to better understand the behavior of designed systems in order to solve problems.
- Learn about energy resources, conversion, use and efficiency associated with human needs.
- Learn how to use the NGSS engineering practices in the context of real-world problems to support a deeper conceptual understanding of energy.
* Energy concepts are not required until 4th grade in NGSS
NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas (Primary focus)
- PS3.A: Definitions of energy
- PS3.B: Conservation of energy and energy transfer
- PS3.D: Energy in chemical processes and everyday life
NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas (Interdisciplinary connections)
ESS3: Earth and human activity
- ESS3.A: Natural resources
ETS1: Engineering design
- ETS1.A: Defining and delimiting engineering problems
- ETS1.B: Developing possible solutions
- ETS1.C: Optimizing the design solution