- Participate in a supported learning community alongside your peers to build content and pedagogical knowledge and skills. (Common to all courses)
- Experience phenomena driven lessons which model three dimensional NGSS teaching and learning appropriate for 3rd–8th grade students. (Common to all courses)
- Discover the urban environment as a unique ecosystem working to maintain a balance between people's needs and the health of the environment.
- Understand how people impact the urban ecosystem and investigate how to mitigate negative impacts.
- Explore the evidence that helps inform society’s resolutions to environmental issues.
NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas
LS1: From molecules to organisms: structures and processes
- LS1.A: Structure and function
- LS1.B: Growth and development of organisms
- LS1.C: Organization for matter and energy flow in organisms
LS2: Ecosystems: Interactions, energy, and dynamics
- LS2.A: interdependent relationships in ecosystems
- LS2.B: Cycles of matter and energy transfer in ecosystems
- LS2.C: Ecosystem dynamics, functioning, and resilience
LS4: Biological evolution: unity and diversity
- LS4.B: Natural Selection
- LS4.C: Adaptation
ESS3: Earth and human activity
- ESS3.C: Human impacts on Earth systems
ETS1: Engineering design
- ETS1.A: Defining and delimiting engineering problems