Gain science content, teaching strategies directly relevant to your classroom and insights into Next Generation Science Standards through the Museum’s free science teacher education courses.
Course Offerings (Grades 3 through 8)
Our FREE teacher courses help reduce barriers to quality science teaching for all students. Teachers experience phenomenon-based, three-dimensional instruction while engaging in professional reflections and collaboration – all with the support of MSI's dedicated professional educators.
Through active participation in our courses, you will:
- Build upon your current understanding of scientific knowledge, processes and applications.
- Refine your current strategies for teaching science based on best practices in science pedagogy.
- Amplify your attention to teaching behaviors and attitudes that promote equity in learning science.
- Increase your focus on planning for instruction that engages students in science and engineering practices and the application of crosscutting concepts to deepen their understanding of disciplinary core ideas.
- Normalize your engagement in continuous self-reflection about your practice to strengthen your science teaching capacity.
Courses target 3rd- through 8th-grade educators with limited experience teaching science in high-needs schools and are offered at no cost to teachers selected to participate.
During the course, you’ll experience:
- Continuous support from MSI’s professional educators and fellow participants to enhance professional growth.
- Phenomenon-based, 3D lessons that can be implemented in your classroom.
- Professional reflection and collaboration with the intent of increasing your self of self-efficacy in teaching science.
During the course, you’ll receive:
- Lesson plans, editable print materials, and all of the equipment needed to implement the lessons you experience.
- Reimbursement for a substitute teacher on session days.
- ISBE clock hours in Illinois or CEUs in Indiana.
- Field trip buses for your students to visit MSI.