earth systems science
Great Lakes Rocks
Explore how the Earth is a system of systems interconnected through energy and matter cycling, and learn about our constantly changing world through our Great Lakes perspective.
- Participate in a supported learning community alongside your peers to build content and pedagogical knowledge and skills. (Common to all courses)
- Experience phenomena driven lessons which model three dimensional NGSS teaching and learning appropriate for 3rd–8th grade students. (Common to all courses)
- Learn that the Earth is a complex system of interacting rock, water, air and life – the geosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere and biosphere.
- Explore how these spheres are continually changing and how changes in one sphere can cause change in others.
- Understand these changes involve the cycling of matter fueled by energy from the Sun and the Earth’s interior.
- Learn that these changes can be explained by universal laws, and understand these laws and apply them to our local environment.
- Study the Earth’s spheres as represented and evident in the Great Lakes region and discover how the long and complex natural history of the region makes it socially, economically and environmentally significant.
NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas
PS1: Matter and its interactions
- PS1.A: Structure and properties of matter
- PS3.D: Energy in chemical processes and every day life
LS1: From molecules to organisms: structures and processes
- LS1.C: Organization for matter and energy flow in organisms
LS2: Ecosystems: interactions, energy and dynamics
- LS2.B: Cycle of matter and energy transfer in ecosystems
LS4: Biological evolution: unity and diversity
- LS4.B: Natural selection
ESS1: Earth’s place in the universe
- ESS1.B: Earth and the solar system
- ESS1.C: The history of planet earth
ESS2: Earth’s systems
ESS2.A: Earth’s materials and systems
- ESS2.B: Plate tectonics and large scale systems interactions
- ESS2.C: The roles of water in earth’s surface processes
- ESS2.D: Weather and climate
ESS3: Earth and human activity
- ESS3.D: Global climate change
Questions? Please email us.