About the lab
- Grades: 3-5
- Capacity: 30 students
- Duration: 60 minutes
- Cost: $120
- Offered Tuesday through Friday at 10:15 and 11:45 a.m.
Next Generation Science Standards
Science and Engineering Practices:
Developing and using models
Planning and carrying out investigations
Analyzing and interpreting data
Obtaining, evaluating and communicating information
Cause and effect
Systems and system models
Disciplinary Core Ideas:
PS 2: Motion and stability: forces and interactions
- Recognize the six simple machines: wheel and axle, lever, pulley, inclined plane, wedge and screw.
- Identify how distance affects force used in each simple machine.
- Understand a connection between ideas explored and simple machines in the real world.
- Actively engage in hands-on science investigation.
- Share Learning Lab-generated thoughts/ideas/questions with peers and program facilitators.
- Develop questions about simple machines and how they work.
- Make inferences from hands-on experiments with simple machines.