The White City...Then and Now
Go back in time to visit the Museum during the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.
- 90 minutes
- January 19, 2013, February 17, 2013, March 16, 2013, April 14, 2013, May 11, 2013, June 16, 2013, July 20, 2013, August 11, 2013, September 21, 2013, October 13, 2013, November 16, 2013, December 8, 2013
- This event requires a ticket for entry.
- Members: $30; Nonmembers: $35 + general admission (required)
Select Saturdays and Sundays (see schedule at left)
This is an interactive exploration of the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition, also known as The White City. You will get a chance to look at some of the buildings from the fair through our 3D virtual simulation, then go on a walking tour of the Museum's historic features. During this experience you'll have fun learning about some of the innovations, people and culture that made the White City influential, and how those innovators and their inventions still impact our lives today.
This experience is recommended for ages 10 and up. Tickets do not include general admission, which is also required to attend. See below for ticket information.
The White City...Then and Now Tour Dates
Tour dates for 2013 are as follows (all tours 1 p.m.):
Sunday, June 16
This experience is not included in Museum general admission, and requires purchasing a separate, timed-entry ticket.
Nonmembers: $35 (plus general admission)
Order your White City…Then and Now and general admission tickets by phone by calling the Museum at (773) 684-1414.
Notes: Accessibility and Weather
The outdoor portion of the tour is not wheelchair accessible. For more about accessibility, please call (773) 684-1414. Guests are advised to bring a coat during colder months. The tour will not go outside during extreme weather conditions.
Tours are subject to change, and may be canceled up to 48 hours in advance due to special events or limited attendance.
Plan Your Visit
- First Timers
- Is it your first time to visit the Museum, or just been a while?
- Return Visits
- See what’s new and exciting at the Museum!
- We offer a wide-range of fun, exclusive Members-only events.
- Field Trips
- Find suggested activities by age group and subject matter.
about the museum
The Museum of Science and Industry opened its doors in 1933 and is the largest science museum in the Western Hemisphere.