October 13, 2008 - October 22, 2009
Due to technical issues, Omnimax films will be unavailable through Tuesday, July 7. We apologize for this inconvenience. Ticketing assistance is available by phone at (773) 684-1414 or in person at Museum ticket counters.
- This Omnimax Theater performance is suitable for all ages.
- 40 minutes
- Lower Level, Omnimax Theater
- This exhibit requires an additional ticket with a specified entry time.
Wild Ocean is an explosive, symphonic giant screen film about man and nature that captures one of the world’s greatest spectacles. Each year a massive feeding frenzy takes place in the oceans of South Africa as billions of fish migrate up the KwaZulu-Natal Wild Coast. Breaching whales, frenzied sharks, herding dolphins, and diving gannets compete in an epic underwater struggle for survival.
The food chain in the ocean connects the tiniest organisms to the greatest whales. This circle of life has developed and evolved over millions of years. For the last few hundred years, however, there has been another predator in the ocean: one that takes enormous shoals in one sweep....
Filmed off the Wild Coast of South Africa, Wild Ocean is a timely documentary that will take you into the ocean depths to examine the effects of global warming and overfishing on the great migration and the local people working to protect this great and invaluable ecological resource.
10:50 a.m.*, 12:30 p.m., 2:10 p.m.
* No 10:50 a.m. show on Sundays.
Visit the Wild Ocean site for educational resources related to Wild Ocean.
Plan Your Visit
- First Timers
- Is it your first time to visit the Museum, or just been a while?
- Return Visits
- See what’s new and exciting at the Museum!
- We offer a wide-range of fun, exclusive Members-only events.
- Field Trips
- Find suggested activities by age group and subject matter.