Hands-On with Harry Potter™: The Exhibition
Throw a Quaffle
In the Harry Potter films we learn that Quidditch™ is the most popular sport in the wizarding world. A bit like soccer, it is played on broomsticks – in mid-air – with four different-sized balls:
- 1 Quaffle – which the Chasers try and get through one of the hoops
- 2 Bludgers – which rocket around trying to knock players off their brooms
- 1 Golden Snitch™ – which is bewitched to evade capture as long as possible
There are seven players on each side:
- 3 Chasers – who throw the Quaffle to each other and try and get it through one of the hoops to score a goal
- 2 Beaters – who use small clubs called ‘Beater’s Bats’ to keep the Bludgers from knocking teammates (and themselves) off their brooms
- 1 Keeper – who flies around their team’s hoops to stop the other team from scoring
- 1 Seeker – who must catch the Golden Snitch and – hopefully – win the game
Harry became the youngest Seeker in a century at Hogwarts™ during his first year when he was selected for the Gryffindor™ Quidditch team. Ron and his sister, Ginny Weasley™, joined the team in later years, as Keeper and Chaser, respectively.
Perhaps you can’t be a Chaser for Gryffindor, but you can still try your hand at throwing a Quaffle in the Quidditch area of Harry Potter: The Exhibition.
Pull a Mandrake
As seen in the film Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Herbology Professor Pomona Sprout teaches Harry’s class to re-pot young Mandrakes. This plant, while useful in potions, will emit a loud scream when pulled from the ground. While the effect of a young Mandrake’s scream may only knock you out, the shriek from a fully grown Mandrake can be fatal.
Find out first-hand what it's like to pull a young Mandrake from its pot when you visit Harry Potter: The Exhibition.
HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of and © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © JKR. (s09)
- Museum Hours
- through December 20:
Monday - Friday: 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday: 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Open daily except Thanksgiving and Christmas
- through December 20:
- Museum Location
Museum of Science+IndustryGetting Here5700 S. Lake Shore DriveChicago, IL 606371 (773) 684-1414
Plan Your Visit
- First Timers
- Is it your first time to visit the Museum, or just been a while?
- Return Visits
- See what’s new and exciting at the Museum!
- We offer a wide-range of fun, exclusive Members-only events.
- Field Trips
- Find suggested activities by age group and subject matter.
museum podcast episode
- Hear our podcast interview with the developer of Harry Potter: The Exhibition.
- Listen to the interview