Body Facts: Nervous System
- The brain uses about 20% of our energy, although it only makes up about 2% of our body weight.
- It is estimated that there are between 100 billion to 1 trillion nerve cells in the brain.
- It’s not the number of brain cells but the connections between them (synapses) that account for the brain capacity. Each brain cell has established about 10,000 synapses to other brain cells.
- Contrary to earlier findings, brain cells are capable of renewing themselves.
- If some parts of the brain are damaged due to a stroke, other areas of the brain may take over the lost functions, if trained properly.
- The brain and spinal cord are surrounded and protected by cerebrospinal fluid.
Facts courtesy of BODY WORLDS.
Image: Gunther von Hagens, Institute for Plastination, Heidelberg, Germany, www.bodyworlds.com.
- Happening Now
Take a visually stunning journey into the future of NASA space exploration.
Explore the history and future of materials that impact our lives everyday.
- Coming Soon
An exclusive night for members to experience Robot Revolution.