BODY WORLDS & The Cycle of Life
March 18, 2011 - September 5, 2011 |
Body Facts: Digestive System
- Adults eat about 500 kg (1,100 lb.) of food per year.
- The body produces 1.5 liters (1.6 quarts) of saliva each day.
- The esophagus is approximately 25cm (almost 10 in.) long.
- Muscles contract in waves to move the food down the esophagus. This means that food would get to a person's stomach, even if they were standing on their head.
- An adult’s stomach can hold approximately 1.5 liters (1.6 quarts) of material.
Facts courtesy of BODY WORLDS.
Image: Gunther von Hagens, Institute for Plastination, Heidelberg, Germany, www.bodyworlds.com.
- Happening Now
Explore nine decades of The Walt Disney Company's history and artifacts.
Take a thrilling underwater journey to explore the beauty and mysteries of coral reefs.
- Coming Soon
Travel to some very wild places and explore the extremes of Earth's eco-zones.
Tim Samuelson and Lisa M. Snyder present a virtual tour of the 1893 Columbian Exposition.