BODY WORLDS & The Cycle of Life
March 18, 2011 - September 5, 2011 |
Body Facts: Digestive System
- Adults eat about 500 kg (1,100 lb.) of food per year.
- The body produces 1.5 liters (1.6 quarts) of saliva each day.
- The esophagus is approximately 25cm (almost 10 in.) long.
- Muscles contract in waves to move the food down the esophagus. This means that food would get to a person's stomach, even if they were standing on their head.
- An adult’s stomach can hold approximately 1.5 liters (1.6 quarts) of material.
Facts courtesy of BODY WORLDS.
Image: Gunther von Hagens, Institute for Plastination, Heidelberg, Germany, www.bodyworlds.com.
- Happening Now
A stunning look inside the animal kingdom from the creators of BODY WORLDS.
Take a thrilling underwater journey to explore the beauty and mysteries of coral reefs.
- Coming Soon
See 80 rarely displayed artifacts in an exhibit commemorating the Museum's 80th anniversary.
Join us as we turn 80 with entertainment, a new exhibit, and a unique "cake"!