Body Facts: Digestive System
- Adults eat about 500 kg (1,100 lb.) of food per year.
- The body produces 1.5 liters (1.6 quarts) of saliva each day.
- The esophagus is approximately 25cm (almost 10 in.) long.
- Muscles contract in waves to move the food down the esophagus. This means that food would get to a person's stomach, even if they were standing on their head.
- An adult’s stomach can hold approximately 1.5 liters (1.6 quarts) of material.
Facts courtesy of BODY WORLDS.
Image: Gunther von Hagens, Institute for Plastination, Heidelberg, Germany, www.bodyworlds.com.
- Happening Now
Take a visually stunning journey into the future of NASA space exploration.
Enter the mysterious world of one of nature's most awe-inspiring marine mammals.
- Coming Soon