Body Facts: Circulatory System
- The heart beats around three billion times in an average person's life.
- About two million blood cells die in the human body every second, and the same number are formed each second.
- Within a tiny droplet of blood, there are some three million red blood cells, 300,000 platelets and 10,000 white blood cells.
- It takes about a minute for a red blood cell to circle the whole body.
- Red blood cells make approximately 250,000 round trips through the body before returning to the bone marrow to die where they were born.
Facts courtesy of BODY WORLDS.
Image: Gunther von Hagens, Institute for Plastination, Heidelberg, Germany, www.bodyworlds.com.
- Happening Now
Interact with a cutting-edge collection of robots from around the world.
Take a visually stunning journey into the future of NASA space exploration.
- Coming Soon
The Membership party of the year: VIP access, fun activities and our newest exhibits!