Juried Art Exhibition: Youth Category
January 22 - February 23, 2014
The entry deadline for the 2014 Juried Art Exhibition has passed.
Thank you to all who submitted entries. Notifications will go out in early December. If you have any questions, please contact Denise Hicks at denise.hicks(at)msichicago.org.
Juried Art 2014 Leadership
Dr. Walter Massey, Chair | President, School of the Art Institute of Chicago; Trustee, Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
Romi Crawford, Juror | School of the Art Institute, Chicago
Calvin Forbes, Juror | School of the Art Institute, Chicago
Jeffreen M. Hayes, Ph.D., Juror | Rebuild Foundation, Chicago
Hamza Walker, Juror | Renaissance Society at the University of Chicago
Juried Art Subcommittee Pamela Jennings, Ph.D. | Akili Lee | Wayne E. Morgan
Architecture & Design • Ceramics • Digital Art • Drawing • Painting
Photography & Video • Print Media • Sculpture • Textiles
Awards (Youth Category)
All submissions are reviewed by the panel of jurors who will select both the displayed works and the winning entries. All artists whose work(s) are featured in the 2014 Juried Art Exhibition will receive a certificate of recognition.
First Place: $250
Second Place: $200
Third Place: $150
Entry fees to the exhibition are waived for youth entrants.
Eligibility (Youth Category)
All African-American artists between the ages of 14-17 are eligible to enter the Youth Category. Each artist may submit up to four (4) works for consideration. Work must have been completed in the past three years and not have been selected for any previous MSI Black Creativity Juried Art Exhibitions.
Do you know a talented adult artist? African-American artists over the age of 18 are encouraged to participate in the Adult Category. For more information on the Adult Category and entry process, click here.
- Please do not submit actual artwork at this time.
- Submit images of your artwork in JPEG format in the online Entry Form. Please prepare your JPEGs before starting your form.
- No more than two JPEG images should be included for each artwork submitted. An overall view of the artwork is required; a detailed view is also beneficial.
- Images should be 1000 pixels at the widest/tallest dimension with a resolution of 100 ppi and should accurately reflect the color and detail of each piece. Each image name must correspond with the artwork titles listed on the entry form.
- Each piece of artwork submitted must have a different name. Please label each image with the artwork title and artist’s name. We cannot accept any artwork without a title or labeled as “untitled.”
- MSI reserves the right to refuse any work that is not adequately represented by your digital submission.
- Please prepare an artist's statement of 250 words or less that describes the concept(s) and process(es) involved in the artwork submitted for consideration, as well as how it relates to this year's theme of innovation. There will be a field for this statement on the online Entry form.
- All online and mailed submissions must be received by November 10, 2013.
MSI will not accept works that are not ready for hanging or suitable for final installation. Drawings, paintings, photography and prints must be framed under Plexiglas or glass and wired for hanging. All accepted artwork must be delivered to MSI between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. (CST) on January 10 and 11, 2014. The artist is responsible for the cost of crating, shipping and delivery to MSI. Sculptures and other fragile works should be delivered in person or shipped with special handling instructions. MSI does not accept artwork shipped in cardboard boxes or nailed crates; work arriving in these containers will be returned unopened at the artist’s expense. Shipped work must be sent in prepaid wooden crates screwed together suitable for return. At the close of the exhibition, shipped work will be returned and insured at MSI’s expense. MSI will not be responsible for damage, delay or loss in shipping; the only recourse will be against the shipping company or insurer. Work delivered in person must be picked up in person between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. (CST) on February 28 and March 1, 2014. MSI will not store or be responsible for artwork not retrieved by these dates. Submission of entry form indicates acceptance of these conditions.
Both the Museum of Science and Industry and the Black Creativity program disclaim any responsibility for any offer, purchase, sale or any other transaction between guests to the Juried Art Exhibition and artists featuring works in the exhibition. In no event shall the Museum of Science and Industry or the Black Creativity program be liable for damages (whether special, incidental, consequential or otherwise) with respect to any such transaction.
The Black Creativity Gala
Black Creativity's annual Gala was held on January 26, 2013. Learn more about this special evening in support of the Black Creativity program.