Adult Category: Entry Form
Enter by mail:
Download and print the entry form below; mail it with payment and JPEGs of your artwork (see the form for more details).
Adult Category: Guidelines
All submissions must be received by 11:59 p.m. CST on October 27, 2014, no exceptions.
Awards (Adult Category)
All submissions are reviewed by the panel of jurors who will select both the displayed works and the winning entries. All artists whose work(s) are featured in the 2015 Juried Art Exhibition will receive a certificate of recognition.
First Place: $3,000
Second Place: $2,000
Third Place: $1,000
Best of Media: Prize Ribbons
Architecture & Design • Ceramics • Digital Art • Drawing • Mixed Media • Painting • Photography & Video • Print Media • Sculpture • Textiles
$50 Regular entry
$25 Adult student entry
Fees are non-refundable and due at time of entry. Online entry fees can be paid with a credit card.
Eligibility (Adult Category)
All African-American artists over the age of 18 are eligible to enter the Adult Category. Each artist may submit up to four works for consideration. Work must have been completed in the past three years and not have been selected for any previous Black Creativity Juried Art Exhibition.
Do you know a talented young artist? African-American artists between the ages of 14 and 17 are encouraged to participate in the Youth Category. Youth entry fees are waived.
- A maximum of four works can be submitted by an individual for consideration.
- Each submission must have a different title. MSI will not accept any "Untitled" artwork.
- A dollar value and for sale status for each submission must be included on the entry form. Entries without this information will be returned.
- Do not submit actual artwork. Submit images of artwork digitally in JPEG format. An overall view of each piece is required; a detailed view is also beneficial.
- Images should be no larger than 1000 pixels x 1000 pixels with a resolution of 100 ppi. They should accurately reflect the color and detail of each piece.
- Please label each image with the artwork title and artist’s name, e.g. Freebird_Andre Smith.jpg. Each file name must correspond with the artwork title listed on the entry form.
- Do not submit more than two images for each piece of artwork (a maximum of eight images).
- MSI reserves the right to refuse any artwork accepted for the exhibition that is not adequately represented by your digital submission.
MSI will not accept works that are not ready for hanging or suitable for final installation. Drawings, paintings, photography and prints must be framed under Plexiglas or glass and wired for hanging. All accepted artwork must be delivered to MSI between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. (CST) on January 9 and 10, 2015. The artist is responsible for the cost of crating, shipping and delivery to MSI. Sculptures and other fragile works should be delivered in person or shipped with special handling instructions. MSI does not accept artwork shipped in cardboard boxes or nailed crates; work arriving in these containers will be returned unopened at the artist’s expense. Shipped work must be sent in prepaid wooden crates screwed together suitable for return. At the close of the exhibition, shipped work will be returned and insured at MSI’s expense. MSI will not be responsible for damage, delay or loss in shipping; the only recourse will be against the shipping company or insurer. Work delivered in person must be picked up in person between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. (CST) on February 27 and February 28, 2015. MSI will not store or be responsible for artwork not retrieved by these dates. Submission of entry form indicates acceptance of these conditions.
Both the Museum of Science and Industry and the Black Creativity program disclaim any responsibility for any offer, purchase, sale or any other transaction between guests to the Juried Art Exhibition and artists featuring works in the exhibition. In no event shall the Museum of Science and Industry or the Black Creativity program be liable for damages (whether special, incidental, consequential or otherwise) with respect to any such transaction.
- For information on the Juried Art Exhibition, please contact Denise Hicks at (773) 947-3730 or denise.hicks(at)msichicago.org.
- October 27, 2014
- Submission deadline, no exceptions.
December 5, 2014
- Jury notices mailed to artists of accepted work(s).
January 9 and 10, 2015
- Accepted artwork delivered to MSI.
January 21, 2015
- Juried Art Exhibition opens to the the public.
February 4, 2015
- Artists' reception and awards ceremony.
February 22, 2015
- Final day of Juried Art Exhibition.
February 27 and 28, 2015
- Artwork must be picked up from MSI.
Honoring Black Creativity
The Black Creativity plaque, crafted in bronze by famed sculptor Preston Jackson, honors the achievements of African Americans in the arts and sciences. On permanent display at MSI.