Gain a broad background in science with our science teacher education courses. All courses are designed to increase science content knowledge, improve teaching skills and demonstrate how to use Museum programs and exhibits to enhance science curriculum.
Great Lakes Rocks (Earth systems science)
Explore the interconnected systems of Earth through our unique Great Lakes perspective, and learn how climate has changed and continues to change through time.
This course is next offered during summer 2016 for three credits.
- Learn, explore and implement hands-on and inquiry-based teaching techniques.
- Learn that the Earth is a complex system of interacting rock, water, air and life – the geosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere and biosphere.
- Explore how these spheres are continually changing and how changes in one sphere can cause change in others.
- Understand these changes involve the cycling of matter fueled by energy from the Sun and the Earth’s interior.
- Learn that these changes can be explained by universal laws, and understand these laws and apply them to our local environment.
- Study the Earth’s spheres as represented and evident in the Great Lakes region and discover how the long and complex natural history of the region makes it socially, economically and environmentally significant.
Session 1: Introduction to course, science notebook and hands-on and inquiry-based activities
Session 2: Geosphere
Session 3: Hydrosphere
Session 4: Atmosphere
Session 5: Biosphere
Session 6: Presentations, project-based activities and unifying concepts in Earth systems science.
- Happening Now
Explore nine decades of The Walt Disney Company's history and artifacts.
Take a thrilling underwater journey to explore the beauty and mysteries of coral reefs.
- Coming Soon
Go back in time to explore the Museum during the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.
The Center aims to inspire the next generation of inventors and innovators with programs that empower teachers, engage the community and excite students.
New Online Activities
- Online Activity
See what happens when plants compete for survival in an area with limited resources.
- Online Activity
Tap into your inner engineer as you design, build and test model bridges.