Gain a broad background in science with our science teacher education courses. All courses are designed to increase science content knowledge, improve teaching skills and demonstrate how to use Museum programs and exhibits to enhance science curriculum.
All About You (anatomy and life science)
Master unifying themes in life science and relate them to the human body through activities about cells, genetics, organ systems, health and wellness, and evolution.
This course is offered during the 2013-14 school year for six credits. It also will be offered in summer 2014 for three credits.
Course dates are:
Group A: Sept. 26, Oct. 25, Nov. 21, Feb. 1 (graduate credit), Feb. 7, March 20 and May 9
Group B: Sept. 27, Oct. 24, Nov. 22, Feb. 1 (graduate credit), Feb. 6, March 21 and May 9
- Learn, explore and implement hands-on and inquiry-based teaching techniques.
- Understand that cells are the basic unit of structure and function in living things.
- Explore DNA as the genetic material of living organisms.
- Discover that organ systems are designed to fulfill a specific function.
- Understand that your environment and the choices you make can lead to a longer, healthier life.
- Investigate how adaptations drives natural selection and how natural selection drives evolution.
Session 1: Unifying themes in life science
Session 2: Structure and function of cells
Session 3: DNA and the genetic basis of life
Session 4: Tissues, organs and organ systems
Session 5: Human health and wellness
Session 6: Adaptations, natural selection and evolution
Support of Lake County teacher outreach is generously provided by Takeda.
- Happening Now
Explore nine decades of The Walt Disney Company's history and artifacts.
Take a thrilling underwater journey to explore the beauty and mysteries of coral reefs.
- Coming Soon
Take a special private group behind-the-scenes tour of the U-505 submarine.
The Center aims to inspire the next generation of inventors and innovators with programs that empower teachers, engage the community and excite students.
New Online Activities
- Online Activity
See what happens when plants compete for survival in an area with limited resources.
- Online Activity
Tap into your inner engineer as you design, build and test model bridges.