Investigate how simple machines work using large-scale examples, then test your knowledge to complete a challenge.
Simple Machines Lab Goals
- Students will recognize the six simple machines: wheel and axle, lever, pulley, inclined plane, wedge and screw.
- Students will identify how distance affects force used in each simple machine.
- Students will understand a connection between ideas explored and simple machines in the real world.
- Students will be actively engaged in hands-on science investigation.
- Students will share Learning Lab-generated thoughts/ideas/questions with peers and program facilitators.
- Students will develop questions about simple machines and how they work.
- Students will make inferences from hands-on experiments with simple machines.
Review with your students before your visit. Students should be familiar with basic lab techniques such as using a microscope and following written lab procedures.
Work = Distance X Force
Using force to move an object over a distance.
Length between two points.
A push or pull that causes an object to move.
A bar used for raising or moving weights centered on a fulcrum (turning point).
Wheel and axle
A moveable simple machine (wheel) centered on a fixed point (axle).
A flat surface with one edge raised higher than the other.
A simple machine with one or more grooved wheels connected by a rope.
A specialized inclined plane used to raise and lower objects as well as hold objects together.
An inclined plane that is thick at one end and tapers to a point at the other end, often used to separate objects.
- Happening Now
Explore nine decades of The Walt Disney Company's history and artifacts.
Seventy years ago, a historic landing changed the world.
- Coming Soon
Discover the mathematical patterns that abound in the natural world.
Explore breathtaking images and meet the researchers who created them.
New Online Activities
- Online Activity
See what happens when plants compete for survival in an area with limited resources.
- Online Activity
Tap into your inner engineer as you design, build and test model bridges.