About the lab
- Grades: 6-8
- Capacity: 30 students
- Duration: 75 minutes
- Cost: $140
- Offered Wednesday at 10:15 a.m.
Next Generation Science Standards
Science and Engineering Practices:
Asking questions and defining problems
Developing and using models
Planning and carrying out investigations
Analyzing and interpreting data
Using mathematics and computational thinking
Constructing explanations and designing solutions
Engaging in argument from evidence
Obtaining, evaluating and communicating information
Cause and effect
Scale, proportion and quantity
Systems and system models
Structure and function
Stability and change
Disciplinary Core Ideas:
PS 2: Motion and stability
PS 3: Energy
ESS 1: Earth's place in the universe
ESS 3: Earth and human activity
ETS 1: Engineering design
ETS 2: Links among engineering, technology, science and society
Illinois Learning Standards
4: A, B; 10: A, B; 11: A, B; 12: D, F; 13: A, B
- Explore STEM education with a focus on NASA research, missions, goals and aims.
- Gain skills in searching online resources, communicating effectively with peers and adult role models and practicing 21st century science and technology skills.
- Work collaboratively to tackle many of the same challenges that NASA scientists are confronting themselves in the effort to travel to and inhabit Mars.
- Engage in inquiry-based and hands-on science learning experiences.
- Collaborate between peer groups.
- Be exposed to working scientists and other personnel at partnering NASA centers.