About the lab
- Grades: 4-8
- Capacity: 30 students
- Duration: 60 minutes
- Cost: $120
- Offered Tuesday through Friday at 10:15 and 11:45 a.m.
Next Generation Science Standards
Science and Engineering Practices:
Planning and carrying out investigations
Analyzing and interpreting data
Obtaining, evaluating and communicating information
Cause and effect
Disciplinary Core Ideas:
Illinois Learning Standards
4: A, B; 5: A, B, C; 7: C; 10: B; 11: A, B; 13: A, B
Common Core ELA/Literacy Standards
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.3.1, 3.3, 3.7, 3.10
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.7, 4.10
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.5.1, 5.2, 5.4, 5.7, 5.10
- Have an increased awareness of STEM careers.
- Understand the connection between ideas explored and careers that involve forensic science.
- Actively engage in inquiry-based, hands-on science investigation.
- Work collaboratively with peers.
- Communicate using terminology/vocabulary accurately.
- Analyze findings, develop a hypothesis and communicate results of who they infer committed a crime.
- Identify and describe methods of forensic science techniques including fingerprinting, chromatography, analyzing trace evidence and footwear, and powder analysis.