About the lab
- Grades: 4-8
- Capacity: 30 students
- Duration: 60 minutes
- Cost: $140
- Offered Tuesday through Friday at 10:15 and 11:45 a.m.
Next Generation Science Standards
Science and Engineering Practices:
Planning and carrying out investigations
Analyzing and interpreting data
Cause and effect
Disciplinary Core Ideas:
PS 1: Matter and its interactions
Illinois Learning Standards
11: A; 12: C; 13: A, B
Common Core ELA/Literacy Standards
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.3.1, 3.3, 3.7, 3.10
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.7, 4.10
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.5.1, 5.2, 5.4, 5.7, 5.10
- Increase their understanding of chemical reactions.
- Understand the connection between ideas explored and careers that involve chemistry.
- Be actively engaged in hands-on and inquiry-based science investigation.
- Share Learning Lab-generated thoughts/ideas/questions with peers and program facilitators.
- Observe chemical properties before and after a chemical reaction.
- Develop and test a hypothesis about what will occur during a chemical reaction.