Gifts of Appreciated Stock
By making a gift of appreciated securities to the Museum of Science and Industry, you will be helping the Museum, while avoiding capital gains tax on your gift. Just remember to first transfer the stock to the Museum, and then the Museum will cash in the stock for its fully appreciated value. To make a gift of appreciated securities, please follow one of the following procedures:
Delivering Stock Electronically
First, please contact Maggie Morrison, Director of Individual Giving, at (773) 947-3726 or maggie.morrison(at)msichicago.org to let the Museum know of your gift.
You can call or write with the following information:
- The name of the donor
- The number of shares
- Purpose of gift
- The name of the stock being transferred
- The date of the transfer
Second, transfer the stock to the Museum's account at the Northern Trust Bank. To do this, have your broker transfer the stock to the Museum's account at the Northern Trust Bank through a DTC transfer. You can transfer it directly to the bank at:
50 South LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60675
- Museum Account # 26-02993
- DTC # 2669
- Donor: (last name, first name)
- Attn: Erica Gingerich - (312) 444-7898
Note: If you wish to give a gift of restricted stock, please call Maggie Morrison at (773) 947-3726.
Delivering Stock by Mail
- Send the stock certificate and the signed stock power in separate envelopes. We recommend the stock certificates be sent by registered or certified mail, return receipt request.
- Enclose a cover letter providing your name, address and telephone number along with any designated purpose for which the gift is being made. We will need a separate stock power form for each certificate of stock.
- Be sure to sign the stock power exactly as the name reads on the stock certificate. Do not fill in the Museum of Science and Industry's name on the stock power. Stock power forms are available from your broker, your banker or us.
Delivering Stock in Person
- In our presence, endorse the back of the stock certificate or sign a separate stock assignment form, or stock power.
Gifts of stock will be placed in the Museum's Annual Fund unless a specific designation is requested. Written inquiries or information about your stock gift may be directed to:
Director, Individual Giving
Museum of Science and Industry
57th Street and Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60637
- Phone: (773) 947-3726
- Fax: (773) 947-3734
Give a gift today to inspire the inventors, innovators and scientists of tomorrow.
about the museum
The Museum of Science and Industry opened its doors in 1933 and is the largest science museum in the Western Hemisphere.