MUSEUM OF SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY TO DEVELOP AND PREMIERE ROBOT REVOLUTION EXHIBIT IN SPRING 2015
Exhibit supported by Google will kick off national tour in Chicago
CHICAGO (May 19, 2014)—They’re coming … and they’ll be here to help and improve our lives.The Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago (MSI), is excited to announce the creation of a new national touring exhibit, Robot Revolution, supported by Google.
This exhibit, set to premiere at MSI in spring 2015, will explore how robots, created by human ingenuity, will ultimately be our companions and colleagues, changing how we play, live and work together. The exhibit will allow guests to step into a visionary world where robots are not just a curiosity, but a vital asset. Guests will have extraordinary opportunities to interact with robots that have rarely been shown to the public before!
“Robotics is a truly fascinating field—and it’s one that is growing exponentially,” said David Mosena, president and CEO of the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago. “This exhibit, in a fun and engaging way, helps answer questions like: How do robots work? How will they change our lives? And for the kids of today: How can I get involved in robotics? We are thrilled to bring this cutting-edge content to MSI and to tour it to other science museums around the nation.”
The exhibit will feature five areas that delve into various aspects of robotics and offer specific hands-on activities for guests:
- Cooperation: Discover how robots can work with humans effectively to assist us and enhance our lives.
- Smarts: Identify how these machines are able to sense, plan and then act, while comparing and contrasting the ways in which humans and robots learn.
- Skills: Learn about the skills robots possess that mimic—and often surpass—human capabilities. Put your abilities to the test against robot counterparts.
- Locomotion: Explore the varieties of ways that robots can move and how they can offer humans access to places we can’t venture ourselves.
- Build-a-Bot: Assemble the basic components of robots and see what you can get them to do!
Robot Revolution will come to life with about 40 robots that have been secured from some of the most innovative global robotics companies. Guests will be awed by the amazing breakthroughs and capabilities of these machines. Activities in each of the content areas will allow guests to:
- Teach a robotic arm new movements to learn more about programming
- Witness the Robotic Chair, which can disassemble and reassemble itself
- See a robot exoskeleton that helps people increase their physical abilities
- Put your abilities to the test and experiment with various robot grippers
- Meet Baxter, a versatile robot that is perfect for working in industry alongside people
- Offer instructions to a “swarm” of robots that can communicate with each other
- Get charmed by PARO, the furry baby seal robot, which is used as a therapy tool for both the elderly and autistic children
- Move the TOPY Crawler up and down stairs. This robot is able to venture into burning buildings, and other places too dangerous for people to enter
“We believe it is vital to inspire the next generation of engineers and tech entrepreneurs so that we can continue to see technology change the world. Google is happy to support MSI's Robot Revolution exhibit to make complex concepts accessible to kids of all ages and to get them excited about science, technology, engineering and math," said Jim Lecinski, head of Google's Chicago office.
Robot Revolution is supported by Google with additional support from The Boeing Company, RACO Industrial, The David Bohnett Foundation and The Kaplan Foundation.
MSI is grateful to the Japanese External Trade Organization (JETRO) and the Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers–Robotics and Automation Society (IEEE RAS) for their assistance with the development of this exhibit.
For more information on this exhibit, please visit msichicago.org/robot.
About the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago (MSI)
The Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago (MSI), one of the largest science museums in the world, offers world-class and uniquely interactive science experiences that inspire inventive genius and foster curiosity. Through groundbreaking and award-winning exhibits that can’t be found anywhere else, to Live Science Experiences that make you the scientist—a visit to MSI is where fun and learning mix. Through its Center for the Advancement of Science Education (CASE), MSI offers a variety of student, teacher and family programs that make a difference in communities and contribute to the Museum’s larger vision: to inspire and motivate children to achieve their full potential in science, technology, medicine and engineering. Come visit and find your inspiration! MSI is open 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. every day except Thanksgiving and Christmas day. Extended hours, until 5:30 p.m., are offered during peak periods. The Museum is supported in part through the generosity of the people of Chicago through the Chicago Park District. For more information, find MSI online at msichicago.org or call (773) 684-1414 or (800) GO-TO-MSI outside of the Chicago area.
To save an image, click on the "Download" link to open the full-size version in a new window.
Then right-click on the full-size image and select 'Save Picture As' to save to your hard drive.
Images presented here are for the express use for promoting the Museum of Science and Industry. All images must be properly credited. Images may not be reproduced by third parties without express written permission from the Museum of Science and Industry.
- Happening Now
Explore nine decades of The Walt Disney Company's history and artifacts.
Seventy years ago, a historic landing changed the world.
- Coming Soon
- Become a Member
It's fun, easy, and a great value! It's an adventure you don't want to miss.
Support from individuals, corporations and foundations help us fulfill our goal of inspiring all who visit.