Department: Guest Experiences
Status: Temporary Part Time (until 1/04/2015)
The Facilitator 1 (F1) position is part of the Guest Experiences team, responsible for providing a world-class guest experience to all visitors of the Museum of Science and Industry (MSI). F1’s are responsible for engaging guests with scientific exhibit content in an educational, memorable and fun capacity by providing compelling and personalized exhibit experiences throughout the Museum. F1’s will perform core operational functions in support of the exhibits, wayfinding, and opening/closing of the Museum.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Learns exhibit content and exhibit activities grounded in science, technology, engineering and medicine
- Engages guest participation with questions, games, activities and education content related to exhibits and overall science-related concepts
- Proactively engages guests and initiates conversations to provide an exceptional guest experience
- Applies inquiry approach and uses open-ended questions to teach science content
- Adapts guest engagements to reach diverse audiences of varying age, background and knowledge levels
- Personalizes engagements by learning and using names, getting to know guests, and making science relevant to everyday life
- Uses appropriate positive reinforcement and humor to encourage guest participation and build relationships
- Anticipates guest issues and proactively solves guest issues and needs
- Participates in improv, team-building and science-based activities as part of morning meetings, team meetings and training sessions
- One year of college or 1-2 years' related or relevant experience
- Ability to learn and teach exhibit content in a museum environment
- Ability to effectively present content in exhibits throughout the museum in both one-on-one and group situations in an engaging, compelling, energetic manner
- Exceptional public speaking skills
- Ability to learn math and science content
- Ability to learn and engage guests with science content
- Ability to anticipate guests' needs and solve guest issues
- Positive attitude required: strong love for working with people in a fun, educational atmosphere
- Ability to talk and engage guests for long periods of time
- Ability to handle several activities at one time
- Must be able and willing to work weekends and holidays, and some evenings
- Prior formal or informal educational experience, science experience, theatre experience, or improvisation experience is important
The Museum of Science and Industry is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.
- Happening Now
Explore nine decades of The Walt Disney Company's history and artifacts.
Seventy years ago, a historic landing changed the world.
- Coming Soon
Travel the length of a continent with a cast of millions: monarch butterflies in migration.