Senior Internal Auditor
Status: Part Time
The Senior Internal Auditor will be responsible for all internal audit functions within the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago (MSI) including risk assessment of various financial and operational processes and functions, development and implementation of the internal audit plan, investigation of suspected breaches in the Museum’s internal controls and the reporting of internal audit findings to the Museum’s management and the Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees. The Senior Internal Auditor will report directly to the Vice President of Finance & Administration / CFO and will have dotted line reporting into the Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees.
Opportunities for improving guest service, governance, profitability, and the organization’s effectiveness and image may be identified during financial and operational Audits. The Senior Internal Auditor will be expected to communicate these opportunities to the Audit Committee and to appropriate levels of Management.
Essential duties and responsibilities for the Senior Internal Auditor include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Maintain a professional and independent image of the Internal Audit function across the Museum.
2. Develop a schedule of internal audits; write audit plans and conduct audits based on the developed schedule.
3. Develop and complete “Risk Assessment and Control Activities Worksheets” through the review of the adequacy and effectiveness of the Museum’s network of internal and management controls and the quality of carrying out assigned control activities. This may include:
a) Reviewing the integrity of financial and operational information and the means used to identify, measure, classify, record and report such information.
b) Reviewing the controls over the safeguarding of assets and, as appropriate, verifying the existence of such assets.
4. Assist in the investigation of significant suspected fraudulent activities within the organization, which may include the review of suspected thefts, deviance from policies/procedures jeopardizing the financial assets of the organization, and any other events which may have an adverse effect on the financial operations, assets of the institution and/or the institution’s image.
5. Conduct financial and/or operational audits of contracted services with 3rd-party providers and other consultants to ensure compliance with the Museum’s contract requirements, applicable laws, regulations, policies, procedures and best practices.
6. Assist the Museum’s Compliance Officer in the review of the organization’s fraud policy and ethics policy, which may include the review of the annual conflict of interest and code of conduct forms submitted to the Museum by Trustees and key employees.
7. Monitor the follow-up, tracking and completion of all identified internal audit findings and internal audit recommendations.
8. Prepare executive level presentations and issue periodic/quarterly reports to the Audit Committee and Management summarizing results of financial and operational internal audit activities, and summarizing internal audit findings, recommendations and the status of follow-up activities.
9. Perform/assist Management in a periodic comprehensive evaluation of Enterprise-Wide Risk Assessment and internal controls.
10. Participate, in an advisory capacity, at the “front-end” of system implementations/upgrades/developments, including involvement in the planning, requirement gathering/design, development, developing of user-testing scripts, and implementation and modification phases of major information systems/processes to determine whether:
a) Adequate financial controls are incorporated;
b) Adequate risk management techniques have been utilized;
c) Systems testing is performed at appropriate stages;
d) Systems documentation is complete and accurate; and
e) The purpose and objectives of the system/process implementation or modifications have been met.
11. Participate, in an audit capacity, at the “back-end” of system implementations/upgrades/developments, including but not limited to the review and audit of:
a) The effectiveness of the implemented/existing IT general computer controls;
b) Access controls and system access profiles;
c) User-acceptance testing results;
d) System requirement completion/implementation in accordance with the Museum’s contracted system requirements.
12. Coordinate, when applicable, internal audit activities with other external auditors engaged by the Museum for audit and/or consulting services in order to provide continuity and to avoid duplication of efforts.
13. Respond to emerging risk over specific operations, special investigations and other areas of concern, at the request of the Audit Committee and Management, as appropriate
The Senior Internal Auditor requires superior analytical, attention to detail, written and verbal communications skills, and exceptionally good professional judgment developed from a strong auditing background.
Required qualifications are as follows:
- CPA and Internal Audit Certification required.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; and four to six years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of accounting software; aatabase software; internet software; spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Clear understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and their applicability in this environment.
- Ability to assess/analyze financial issues quickly and accurately.
- Must be highly organized, self-starting, and able to work both independently and with a team. Must have demonstrated the ability to prioritize and meet multiple, concurrent deadlines and oversee a variety of projects to successful completion.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills are also necessary in navigating through a matrix business organization.
- Must be able to build and sustain excellent relationships at multiple levels internally and with various external constituencies.
- The ideal candidate is an individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics and values; someone who can be trusted to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
Additional skills and experience that would be helpful to have:
- Internal audit experience in non-profit organizations, preferably cultural institutions.
- Experience in fraud auditing.
- Prior experience with system implementations, upgrades and development.
- Prior experience in IT audit/auditing of IT general computer controls.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics GP (financial system) and Raiser's Edge development software.
- Experience with ticketing systems.
- Prior experience in performing/completing physical inventories.
The Museum of Science and Industry, one of the largest science centers in the world, offers world-class and uniquely interactive science experiences that inspire inventive genius and foster curiosity. From groundbreaking and award-winning exhibits that can’t be found anywhere else to live science experiences that make you the scientist — a visit to MSI is where fun and learning mix. Through its Center for the Advancement of Science Education (CASE), MSI offers a variety of student, teacher and family programs that make a difference in communities and contribute to the Museum’s larger vision: to inspire and motivate children to achieve their full potential in science, technology, medicine and engineering. If you are equally passionate about our vision and want to be surrounded by a team of dynamic, smart and innovative people, the Museum of Science and Industry is the right place for you.
The Museum of Science and Industry is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.
- Museum Hours
- Through December 15:
Monday - Friday: 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday: 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Open daily except Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Through December 15:
- Museum Location
Museum of Science+IndustryGetting Here5700 S. Lake Shore DriveChicago, IL 606371 (773) 684-1414
- Happening Now
Explore nine decades of The Walt Disney Company's history and artifacts.
Take a thrilling underwater journey to explore the beauty and mysteries of coral reefs.
- Coming Soon