Department: Information Technology
Status: Full Time
The IT Systems Technician provides a customer-focused computer support service to the Museum. They ensure all requests to the IT Help Desk are dealt with effectively and efficiently and provide support via telephone, using remote desktop tools, or at the user’s location either personally or by facilitating vendors and/or internal resources. The Systems Technician effectively provisions, maintains, and troubleshoots computer hardware, software, mobile devices, telephones, printers, and related peripherals and ensures that they adhere to Museum policies, applicable compliance regulations, and industry best practices.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Respond to incoming service request via telephone, e-mail and other sources in a timely, effective and courteous manner. Log, categorize, prioritize, and route new request per departmental operating procedures.
- Perform on-site or remote analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex hardware, software and connection problems for a variety of users and systems; recommend and implement corrective solutions.
- Provision and maintain computers, mobile devices, telephones, printers, kiosks, and related peripherals.
- Install and upgrade software. Provide basic end user support for standard Museum applications such as Microsoft Office.
- Reset passwords.
- Maintain work logs and resolutions per departmental operating procedures.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups with users.
- Maintain asset inventory database.
- Maintain departmental knowledgebase; document processes; cross-train other technicians.
- Operate and maintain automated workstation deployment and patch-management tools.
- Promote good practice in the use of IT hardware and software to all Museum users.
- Working weekends and holidays.
- At times, working evenings, with little notice.
- Additional related duties as assigned.
- Associate degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Training and/or relevant experience with Windows 7+, Macintosh OSX, Microsoft Office 2010+ and similar technologies. Certification desired.
- Training and/or relevant experience with Android and iPhone/iPad devices in an enterprise environment.
- Training and/or relevant experience with VoIP telephones, MFP printers, networking and WiFi.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions which may involve terminology or concepts not familiar to many people.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situation where only limited standardization exists.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-paced environment.
- Strong customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to interact with all levels of Museum staff.
- Visual inspection and assessment of hardware or electronic components.
- Visual inspection and assessment of components connections.
The Museum of Science and Industry, one of the largest science centers in the world, offers world-class and uniquely interactive science experiences that inspire inventive genius and foster curiosity. From groundbreaking and award-winning exhibits that can’t be found anywhere else to Live Science Experiences that make you the scientist — a visit to MSI is where fun and learning mix. Through its Center for the Advancement of Science Education (CASE), MSI offers a variety of student, teacher and family programs that make a difference in communities and contribute to the Museum’s larger vision: to inspire and motivate children to achieve their full potential in science, technology, medicine and engineering. If you are equally passionate about our vision and want to be surrounded by a team of dynamic, smart and innovative people, the Museum of Science and Industry is the right place for you.
The Museum of Science and Industry is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.
- Happening Now
Explore nine decades of The Walt Disney Company's history and artifacts.
Seventy years ago, a historic landing changed the world.
- Coming Soon