Senior Administrative Assistant to the CFO, General Counsel and Director of Finance/Controller
Department: Finance and Administration
Status: Full Time
The Senior Administrative Assistant provides executive assistant support to the Museum of Science and Industry’s Vice President of Finance & Administration/CFO, General Counsel and Finance Director/Controller, reporting directly to the Vice President of Finance & Administration/CFO.
This position requires a high level of confidentiality and discretion in communications, strong professional and ethical standards, the ability to manage relationships both internally across the Museum and externally with clients and vendors, excellent time and project management skills, and an ability to understand and adapt to the Museum’s evolving needs.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide executive assistant support to the Museum and CFO in regard to three Committees of the Board of Trustees – Finance, Audit, and Buildings & Grounds. Specific responsibilities include preparation of the agendas, committee reports, and minutes on a quarterly basis, and distributing other information as needed.
- As the Museum’s travel coordinator, provide travel assistance to all of the administrative assistants via training and distribution of current travel information.
- Monitors the renewal of the majority of the Museum business licenses. Also prepares annual submission of renewal paperwork for City and State licensing and reporting.
- Manages requisition and invoice processing for Finance & Accounting, Legal Services, and select retail operations. Provides limited budget and related financial management support for the CFO and General Counsel.
- Assists with contracts and other legal agreement preparation and management.
- Provides general upkeep and management of files and data for the CFO, General Counsel, and Controller.
- Manages calendars, orders supplies, books travel, submits expense reports, and performs other general administrative tasks such as mail and shipping.
- Coordinates various meetings and events, attends as needed, and prepares minutes as directed.
- Handles sensitive/confidential information requiring a high level of discretion on behalf of CFO, General Counsel, and Controller.
The Senior Administrative Assistant requires superior attention to detail, written and verbal communications skills, and exceptionally good professional judgment developed from a proven professional background.
Required qualifications are as follows:
- AA degree or BA degree required
- Minimum 5 years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience supporting executives; legal support experience is a positive factor but not required
- Ability to work well and communicate effectively with all levels of staff, Board of Trustees, outside clients and vendors, and city officials
- Excellent computer skills - MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Excellent communication skills - spelling, grammar, and proofreading
- Superior organization skills - ability to come up with processes and follow up
- Ability to lift files/boxes under 20 lbs.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment/decision making when necessary
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate problems and act accordingly
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet multiple, concurrent deadlines and oversee a variety of projects to successful conclusion
- Ability to take initiative - assertive and confident.
- The ideal candidate is an individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics and values; someone who can be trusted without reservation.
The Museum of Science and Industry, one of the largest science centers in the world, offers world-class and uniquely interactive science experiences that inspire inventive genius and foster curiosity. From groundbreaking and award-winning exhibits that can’t be found anywhere else to Live Science Experiences that make you the scientist — a visit to MSI is where fun and learning mix. Through its Center for the Advancement of Science Education (CASE), MSI offers a variety of student, teacher and family programs that make a difference in communities and contribute to the Museum’s larger vision: to inspire and motivate children to achieve their full potential in science, technology, medicine and engineering. If you are equally passionate about our vision and want to be surrounded by a team of dynamic, smart and innovative people, the Museum of Science and Industry is the right place for you.
The Museum of Science and Industry is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.
- Museum Hours
- through November 30:
Monday - Wednesday: 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Friday - Sunday: 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Open daily except Thanksgiving and Christmas
- through November 30:
- Museum Location
Museum of Science+IndustryGetting Here5700 S. Lake Shore DriveChicago, IL 606371 (773) 684-1414
- Happening Now
Explore nine decades of The Walt Disney Company's history and artifacts.
Seventy years ago, a historic landing changed the world.
- Coming Soon
Learn about human anatomy with the help of special guest stars: real human organs.