Department: Guest Experiences
Status: Full Time
This individual will perform all core activities of the Facilitator 1 role, including: Engage guests with scientific exhibit content in a positive, fun, inclusive and educational capacity. Provide compelling and personalized exhibit experiences throughout the Museum. Perform core operational functions of exhibits, wayfinding, and opening and closing of the Museum. Provide leadership and guidance to Facilitator 1 during periods that Senior Coordinator Guest Experiences is unavailable.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Learn exhibit content and exhibit activities grounded in science, technology, engineering, medicine, and aviation.
- Engage guest participation in Museum experience with questions, games, activities and education content related to exhibit and Museum.
- Facilitate exhibit activities with guests.
- Perform core operational functions of exhibits and Museum, including wayfinding and opening and closing procedures.
- Participate in team meetings to create and discuss new exhibit experiences.
- Oversee Facilitator 1 scheduling and maintain staff rotations for the staff calendar. Update calendar & rotations accordingly to accommodate guest levels and staff call-offs.
- Partner with volunteers and educators to enhance experiences.
- Tracks and records guests frequently asked questions.
- Assist guests who appear or are lost, or guests with any issues or problems.
- Anticipate guest issues and proactively solve guest issues and needs.
- Train new employees on exhibit content.
- In the absence of Senior Coordinator Guest Experiences (2 days per week), this position shall function in that capacity. This substitution role ensures Facilitator 1 is engaging guests with exhibit content in assigned Museum spaces.
- Engage and work with the Senior Coordinator Guest Experiences to effectively understand their role and be able to apply those skills during his or her absence 2 days a week. Understand how to staff each team in their absence.
- Provide coaching, professional development and immediate performance feedback to Facilitator 1.
- Perform administrative duties including but not limited to scheduling, staff rotations, payroll, reporting, tracking and communicating exhibit issues.
- Assist in the leading of morning meetings and trainings.
- Proactively escalate issues to Senior Management.
- Assist with program development of new exhibit experiences.
Required qualifications are as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with 1-2 years of related or relevant experience.
- Ability to learn and teach exhibit content in a museum environment.
- Ability to effectively present content in exhibits throughout the museum in both one-on-one and group situations in an engaging, compelling, energetic manner.
- Ability to learn math related to science content.
- Ability to learn and engage guests with science content.
- Ability to anticipate guests' needs and solve guest issues.
- Positive attitude required, strong love for working with people in a fun, educational atmosphere.
- Prior museum educational experience, science experience, or theatre experience is important.
- Ability to guide other Facilitators in the absence of formal reporting relationships.
- Ability to talk to and engage guests for long periods of time is required.
- Ability to handle several activities at one time.
- Must be able and willing to work weekends and holidays.
Additional experience that is recommended:
- Bilingual ability a plus.
The Museum of Science and Industry, one of the largest science centers in the world, offers world-class and uniquely interactive science experiences that inspire inventive genius and foster curiosity. From groundbreaking and award-winning exhibits that can’t be found anywhere else to Live Science Experiences that make you the scientist — a visit to MSI is where fun and learning mix. Through its Center for the Advancement of Science Education (CASE), MSI offers a variety of student, teacher and family programs that make a difference in communities and contribute to the Museum’s larger vision: to inspire and motivate children to achieve their full potential in science, technology, medicine and engineering. If you are equally passionate about our vision and want to be surrounded by a team of dynamic, smart and innovative people, the Museum of Science and Industry is the right place for you.
The Museum of Science and Industry is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.
- Happening Now
Explore nine decades of The Walt Disney Company's history and artifacts.
Travel to some very wild places and explore the extremes of Earth's eco-zones.
- Coming Soon
Experience the enchantment of a fairy’s dream home -- newly restored and more magical than ever!